Key Lessons After Coming Back to Trading

I've consistently executed good trades since coming back to trading in early August 2014. Here is a snapshot of my cumulative return so far:


That's a pretty decent stair-step-like progress chart if I do say so myself! I'm not used to this type of steady progress, so it's quite refreshing. In fact, I've never had such a good positive-to-negative period ratio--I.E., green trades versus red trades:



So I took some time to go over my trades and take note of the key things I'm doing for each trade that help tilt the probabilities of a successful trade into my favor. Here is a list--in descending order--of the most important rules/steps that are having the most positive impact on my trading:
  1. Identifying and focusing ONLY on the best daily chart set ups
  2. Using a position size that ensures I'm 100% comfortable with the dollar loss if I stop out on the trade
  3. Identifying a good entry price, a comfortable stop out price that still reflects the chart, not just my emotional stop out price, and a price target BEFORE entering into a trade
  4. Sticking to the original plan, unless the price action behaves in a way that I did not predict or expect to see
These four key steps really stood out to me as the key drivers behind my decent trading streak. I'm glad I took the time to review my trades because these steps seem so easy and obvious in hindsight; however, my trading last year and early this year was mostly devoid of these steps--and as a result, so was my consistency and profitability.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the post!

'Till next time,

Jory

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Trading Stocks is the Best Therapy in the World

The Laws of Trading

How to Perform F2G Technical Analysis