Trade Recap - ALKM

This was my worst trade since coming back to trading in August. So let's see why.

First off, I heard about the OTC ticker ALKM being a StockTips pump and dump from @StockRealist via Twitter--as well as via his blog here--around early September. My goal was to put ALKM on my watchlist and watch for any over-extension on the daily chart. If that happened, I would begin putting in IB good-til-cancel (GTC) orders to short the stock for a couple reasons: 1) It's very difficult to find borrows on these stocks and IB GTC orders sometimes get filled pre-market; 2) Odds were this POS was going to collapse, and it was only a matter of time.

On September 5th, everyone and their brother thought ALKM was the next StockTips pick despite StockTips not revealing their pick. As a result, the buying came in fast and the stock went nuts--going from around .10 to over .50 in a single day:


However, it turns out that StockTips delayed their pick that night or so. Well the next day ALKM tanked right back down to the lows around .10. Then all of a sudden StockTips came out with their stock pick: ALKM! So I got back into go-mode, and started stalking ALKM for an over-extension.

ALKM tripled and then quadrupled from the lows at .10 to around .40. I thought the end was near and a breakout was unlikely because this had been a botched pump and dump. Moreover, there was a halt risk for longs and the promoters. So I wanted in, but shares to short were nowhere to be found. I did get my chances after a pullback to the high twenty cent area when shares to short opened up at IB.


My position size and risk (stop loss) were higher than usual because I thought this was a sure thing. However, I failed to consider the likelihood of a broker buy-in. If I had, I think I would have used less size. Anyway, ALKM continued to rise and I put in GTC orders trying to average up in the .40s--near the breakout I didn't think would happen. But, I got a buy-in noticed from IB. I had to cover my shares by the end of the day on the 23rd or IB would do it for me. So I covered into dips when I got home.


And the following day, ALKM tanked. 


So in the end, the stock I focused on would tank as predicted. I wasn't able to average up like I wanted, and then got bought in. The ALKM lessons learned are:

  1. Take into account the possibility of a buy-in three to four days from the trade, and whether or not the stock dumping is more likely to happen before or after a buy-in.
  2. Take this analysis into account when determining position size/stop loss, or avoid the trade altogether if the odds aren't so good.
  3. Consider a tight stop with a larger position. I can continue putting in GTC orders if the stock goes up, get a better entry, risk less money, lessen my buy-in risk, and possibly capitalize on the actual dump.

Jory


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Trading Stocks is the Best Therapy in the World

The Laws of Trading

How to Perform F2G Technical Analysis